Thursday, August 21, 2014

Summer Reading Books are the Reason

Kids, adults, humanity, generally dislikes reading.

And that is incredibly depressing to people adore books.

I honest to god, as a newly high school student, hate most summer reading books. I had to read one about a woman who conformed to the sexist ideals of Troy and another that wasn't half bad, but the utter half was crap.

Each year, we read about the same things over and over again; racism and great quests. Now, let me say now, that I know racism is a prominent problem in today's society, but after reading about it year after year in school and only getting to know that one societal problem gets annoying.

When it comes to human rights and world problems, I tend to be the strongest protester in sexism, ageism, and mistreatment of the LGBTQA community.

It's kind of sad that schools A. Don't have kids learn more about prominent world problems B. interesting engaging books C. and the occasional fiction book.

I'm not saying that all schools are terrible at picking school books, but I wish reading was incorporated more in the American education system.

I want my younger sisters and my friends and my fellow teens to be more into reading. I want them to learn about the communist and Hitler-like ruling of Kim Jung Un in North Korea. I want them to be educated on the sexism in the American government and sixteenth century-like treatment of women in other countries. In my opinion, the generation that is currently ruling America is lacking education. Not education from the side that won or is more prominent, but the losers and minorities.

I hope that my generation is the one that steps up and says 'I know how to solve this problem,' or 'this is not fair or just.'

And if not mine, the one after that.

I hope to one day work towards worldly education one day, but for now I'll do it in simpler ways.

Ways so simple that even you could do it sitting at your computer.

Educate your friends, family, teachers, etc. on topics that you think could change. Voice your ideas ever if you think they are ridiculous or wouldn't work. Talk to people in authority about improving certain situations.

It's the small things that count.

~Monty

No comments:

Post a Comment