Sunday, April 13, 2014

4/13/14: Divergent Movie Review

Divergent
Trailer: My only problem with the trailer was the fact that it made it seem like this movie was going to be extremely sexual and that they were going to over sexualize Tris as a character. 
Genre: Dystopian, Action, Romance
Based Off: Divergent by Veronica Roth
Director: Neil Burger
Noted Cast: Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Ansel Egort, Kate Winslet
Rating: 8/10
Review: 

I went into this movie extremely skeptical. The trailer made the relationship between Tris and Tobias seem overly romantic and sexual. But as clips began being released, and those clips contained passages from the book, I grew more excited.

I actually think this was a great adaptation. Over course not everything was exactly to my ideas of the book, but everyone reads the book differently.

Shailene as Tris was not bad, but seemed a bit... lacking. I kind of wish she hadn't been cast as both Tris and Hazel Grace, from John Green's bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars, because I won't completely separate the two. Especially Caleb, who is played by Ansel Egort, who will also play Augustus Waters in The Fault in Our Stars.

Can I get a Woot Woot for incest?

Moving on to the other characters, Ansel as Caleb was amazing. Just spectacular. That is exactly how I pictured Caleb and the acting was spot on. I cannot wait to see him as Augustus.

Theo James as Tobias was also not bad, but not perfect either. He is naturally British, and at some points in the film I think you could here the accent a bit. He was quite the looker though, and had pretty good acting skills for the character.

I am a bit disappointed that they left out important scenes like Peter's stabbing of Edward and Tobias' flirtatious drunkenness, but I understand it is hard to fit a 400 page book into a two hour movie.

But as the movie continued on, a lot of my favorite witty lines had been left out and that made me a bit sad.

Otherwise the visual expedience and the CGI was very pleasing. I especially liked the zip line scene, because I felt like I was flying through the air as well.

I hope that the next three movies are good, and that they don't go off the book. *sends a prayer to every higher power there might be*

Future News: 
Insurgent and Allegiant (a two part movie) are confirmed for 2015, 2016, and 2017. 

No comments:

Post a Comment