Sunday, March 2, 2014

3/2/14: Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

Cover: The continuous use of the eye as the main feature on all the books is such a perfect medium. It isn't to flashy, but also not too simple. Also, the little details in the cover also get me. They tie in well with the story. In this case, definitely judge a book by it's cover. 
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Genre: Dystopian, Fantasy, Romance
Goodreads Blurb: Juliette now knows she may be the only one who can stop the Reestablishment. But to take them down, she'll need the help of the one person she never thought she could trust: Warner. And as they work together, Juliette will discover that everything she thought she knew - about Warner, her abilities, and even Adam - was wrong.
Published/ing: February 4th 2014 Harpercollins 
Rating: 4.5/5
Review: 

So the night before this book came out, I was a bit anxious. Usually I'm beyond excited for last books in series when they come out, but this book made me feel anxious. I was scared that it wouldn't end right. 

So that fact actually caused me to wait to read this book a few weeks later. Thank god I read it. 

The beginning was a bit disorienting and boring in the beginning. I had not read anything from the series since the novellas came out back in October and forgot the story and what point they were at. 

The first four or so chapters I believe it is, is just Juliette and Warner. Due to the news that Warner delivers Juliette, Juliette is an emotional mess. I disliked how whiny she was. There was a freaking REBELLION going on right outside the window, and yet here was Juliette lying in bed crying about her dead boyfriend and her feelings about being in love with his fully living brother. 

But alas, she wakes up and becomes the badass that she was meant to be this whole story. My favorite moment in the whole book series is when she realizes that she wasn't in love, but in love with the idea of it.

“It’s not an accusation ,” I say. “One day Adam will realize that what he felt for me was just a crazy kind of desperation. We were two people who really needed someone to hold on to, and we had this past that made us seem so compatible. But it wasn’t enough. Because if it were, I wouldn’t have been able to walk away so easily.” I drop my eyes, my voice. “Warner didn’t seduce me, Kenji. He didn’t steal me away. I just . . . I reached a point where everything changed for me. “Everything I thought I knew about Warner was wrong. Everything I thought I believed about myself was wrong. And I knew I was changing,” I say to him. “I wanted to move forward. I wanted to be angry and I wanted to scream for the first time in my life and I couldn’t. I didn’t want people to be afraid of me, so I tried to shut up and disappear, hoping it would make them more comfortable. But I hate that I let myself be so passive my whole life, and I see now how differently things could’ve been if I’d had faith in myself when it mattered. I don’t want to go back to that,” I tell him. “I won’t. Not ever.”

I almost fell apart while watching Juliette develop as a character in this book. I loved it. I love it. It was amazing. 

Stepping aside from Juliette's character development, I want to talk about Kenji. 

The day I was reading Ignite Me was pretty sucky. I had a hard row with a teacher and was loaded with homework. Not to mention that Ignite Me was running pretty slow. 

But then low and behold, in steps Kenji and my day was fixed. I missed his sarcasm and relatively sexual comments. As I told my parents, who rolled their eyes at me, it was like I had an epiphany. 

I cannot stress how important his character was in the story. 

With the war and the romance and the confinement, his comedic relief shines through like the sun on a rainy day. And in this book, when Juliette is completely lost and broken after Adam's outbreak, Kenji is their to cheer her up and give her great advice. They have such a beautiful brother/sister complex. Their relationship is probably my favorite out of all the relationships developed in the trilogy. 

Overall, this book met my standards at no ends. It really took the revolution and characters and ran. Juliette rose to her full potential. Warner was revealed as a new person. Old characters were introduced, everyone fought brilliantly, and happiness was achieved in the end.  

It was an amazing end to an amazing set of dystopian novels. I hope that Tahereh continues to write brilliant stories and characters like she did with this trilogy. 

“You know,” he whispers, his lips at my ear, “the whole world will be coming for us now.” I lean back. Look into his eyes. “I can’t wait to watch them try.”

Future News:
This was the last installment in the trilogy. Fox Twentieth Century owns the rights to the movie, but no actual news has come up about production. 

No comments:

Post a Comment