Sunday, December 15, 2013

12/15/13: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Cover: It's too cute and applies to the book perfectly.
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Goodreads Blurb: "One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

Published/ing: June 14th, 2012 Dial Books for Young Readers
Rating: 5/5
Review:
*giggles* I really liked this book.

I loved it start to finish. I absolutely could not put it down.

It started out very "forbidden love" and "teenage girl with a disappointing life" and then it pulled away from those main themes and made it its own.

I liked the main protagonist, Samantha, who really thinks. Not your typical "oh he's goo looking" or "oh my mom will punish me because of this" but really, actually thinks about her situation.

This whole review is technically me geeking out about how realistic this book is.

I love the foil families. The Reeds who are very pristine and exact and proper, and then the Garretts, who are compassionate and heck tic and chaotic. I liked the idea that Samantha Reed grew up longing to have a family like the Garretts, and then finally have her dream come true when a certain (beautiful) boy comes knocking at her window.

And when we finally get to meet ALL of the Garretts, I liked that each and every kid, from youngest to oldest, had different personalities. It was so entertaining for me to see Samantha in such an unfamiliar environment.

The romance aspect of the book, between Jase Garrett and Samantha Reed was so dam realistic. I loved that they were so quirky and imperfect. Like, that's what I expect from a relationship; not some perfect fairy tale. I just teared up at how great it was.

I couldn't believe this was Huntley's first book. She deserves a standing ovation for how amazing it was. It frustrates me beyond belief how perfect it was. I could not find a single flaw.

I don't think I can emphasize how much I loved this book. Everyone needs to read it.


Future News:
There will be a sequel (more of a spin-off than a sequel) scheduled to come out 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment