Thursday, November 21, 2013

11/15/13: Champion by Marie Lu

Author: Marie Lu
Genre: Dystopian, Romance, Action and Adventure
Goodreads Blurb: The explosive finale to Marie Lu’s New York Times bestselling LEGEND trilogy—perfect for fans of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT!

He is a Legend.
She is a Prodigy.
Who will be Champion? 

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps Elect while Day has been assigned a high level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them once again. Just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything he has. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.

Published/ing: Putnam Juvenile November 5th, 2013
Rating: 5/5
Review:
Marie Lu has impressed me. 

I like to first mention how much the plot thickened.

We have the Colonies attacking the Republic. Anden taking up his position as Elector and June taking her position as Princeps-Elect. We see the challenges they face just because people believe them as too young to rule.
Then we have Day, living with his brother, as happy as he can be despite the fact that he misses June and is getting sicker by the day.
The plot is non-top as the war continues with death threats and rebellions and explosives. There is internal conflict and external conflicts.
That really kept me hooked and wanting to read.

The character development and the overall resolution was also perfectly tied to together. June and Day were such great characters, because they showed insecurity and being unsure about going into certain situations. They felt guilt and regret and pain. Marie really took the time to show that the time to make sure that, although the characters were heroes throughout the story, they were still human. And I think that's what sets her book off from others. 

The world-building made me really happy. Since this book is set so far in the future, there has to be new technology and stuff, right? Marie takes that aspect to a whole new level. 

One of my favorite parts in the book was when June visited Antarctica with Anden. The idea of living life as if it were a game was amazing. The atmosphere control and the whole idea of it blew my mind. I must've just sat there with my mouth open while I was reading it. 

And finally, the ending. And I need to seriously talk about this. Over the course of like, what, three chapters, my emotions were on a roller coaster. When June was on the building trying to stop Commander Jameson from shooting Day, my heart was pounding in my chest. When Day couldn't see his brother in the dust I was completely freaking out. 

The fight between Jameson and June was illustrated beautifully, every move exact and purposeful. And then finally, at the end of that, when June finds Day and he is dying and the POV switches over and Day sees his mother. Oh gods, I was in tears. I thought he was going to die. I thought it was going to be *SPOILER FOR ALLEGIANT BY VERONICA ROTH* just like Tris all over again. 

Thank gods though that it wasn't. 

Then the whole waiting period. Five months. FIVE MONTHS. Five months, she waited. I was so scared that he wouldn't and that it'd all be over, but no. He's alive. He's all good. 

BUT HE DIDN'T REMEMBER HER. I was in shock. I felt June's pain in that moment. And she took the situation so well. She was wise. She didn't want to hurt him all over again, so he let him have his life. She let him go. 

That was probably the one of the bravest moments in all of the books I've ever read. 

“'Day,' I say, carefully choosing what my final words to him should be. 'It has been such a privilege and honor to fight by your side. You’ve saved many more of us than you’ll ever know.' For a small moment, I fix my eyes on his, telling him silently everything that I’ll never say to him aloud. 'Thank you,' I whisper. 'For everything.'
Day looks puzzled by the emotion in my voice, but he bows his head in return. 'The honor’s mine,' he replies. My heart breaks in sorrow at the lack of warmth in his voice, the warmth I know I would have heard had he remembered everything. I feel the absence of the aching love that I’ve come to yearn for, that I wanted so much to earn. It is gone now. 
If he knew who I was, I would say something else to him now, something I should’ve said to him more often when I had the chance. Now I am sure of my feelings, and it’s too late. So I fold the three words back into my heart, for his sake, and rise from his bed. I soak in every last, wonderful detail of his face and store it in my memory, hoping I can take him with me wherever I go. We exchange quiet salutes. Then I turn away for the last time."

Then the Epilogue was pretty sweet how they did the birthdays. I liked that we saw Anden again and Tess. Because, let's be real guys, it was inevitable that at some point June and Anden would get together. 

And then we go to the present and at the train station. That was such a scary moment for me, because the book had only a couple pages left. What was going to happen?

Oh and it was so happy. So happy, that I was sobbing. That whole part was just so well written. 

I am so glad I read these books and, personally, I don't want them to be turned into movies. They'd do well just left alone. 

Marie Lu did a phenomenal job. Absolutely phenomenal. 

"Then Day reaches out and touches my hand with his. He encloses it in a handshake. And just like that, I am linked with him again, I feel the pulse of our bond and history and love through our hands, like a wave of magic, the return of a long-lost friend. Of something meant to be. The feeling brings tears to my eyes. Perhaps we can take a step forward together. 
'Hi,' he says. 'I’m Daniel.' 
'Hi,' I reply. 'I’m June.'"


Future News:
This is the last installment in the Legend trilogy. There is movie that is in the beginning stages of creation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment