Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Turn offs

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish


October 1: Top Ten Book Turn-Offs (thanks to Michelle for this idea! You know..you are reading and then SOMETHING happens to completely turn you off -- cheating, absent parents, multiple POVS etc.) 

  • "I couldn't get the words out of my mouth"/not being able to do something
    • WhAT IN HadEs?! You can't speak? Just say it! Just kiss him! Just do what you need to do! Shoot him! Blah!

  • Week characters
    • Someone who is extremely flat and static. Someone who relies on one emotion. Someone who relies on a single person. 

  • Vague settings
    • The "it was a sunny day" will not do it for me.

  • Poor plot lines
    • I can't stand that stereotyped plot line. I tend to have this problem with zombie novels.

  • Chapter Titles
    • This is always a peeve of mine, but i need to mention it. When a book's chapter title is literally "Chapter 1" or "Chapter 35". I greatly dislike that. Why can't it be "Chapter 1: Blood" or at least a Roman numeral.

  • Unbalanced themes
    • Too much romance of too much dystopian or too much fantasy. I thin kthat's the reason I have yet to get into Lord of the Rings.

  • Repetitive Conflicts
    • If you have "and his car broke down" and "this is how he fixed that" multiple times in the book, I won't stand for it.

  • Not accurate
    • If your physics aren't right or your situations are right (Ex: the nerd falls in love with the jock but then gets her heartbroken when the jock falls for the popular girl because the popular girl was cooler than the nerd) 

  • BOOKS WITHOUT SUITABLE ENDINGS
    • FOR EXAMPLE BOOKS THAT LEAVE IT HANGING BUT NOT THE GOOD KIND LIKE THE HUNGER GAMES
    • Seriously Suzanne, you have them solve the revolution and then they have kids? 
    • I was not pleased with that.

See ya'll tomorrow for my WAITING ON WEDNESDAY all about ALLEGIANT.
~Monty

No comments:

Post a Comment