Sunday, August 25, 2013

City of Bones Movie Review *SPOILERS*

CITY OF BONES:THE MOVIE

I know I promised this Friday, but there were some complications to when I could get to the movie. 

Also, I'd like to mention that City of Ashes is being filmed as we speak and everyone is casted the same and such, and the Seelie Queen is in the process of being casted *Happiness* and it is expected to come out next year! CAN WE GET A WHOOP WHOOP?! *whoop whoops in the distance*

But now I'm here! Fair warning this review has many spoilers.

Characters:

Clary Fray, our main character played by Lilly Collins, is portrayed quiet well in this. We get the fiery red hair, kind of short, but brave character we have in the book. Clary also is extremely confused and conflicted through out the movie, which I believe was great acting by Lilly's part. I don't believe I have an cons concerning this character.

Jace Wayland/Morgenstein is played by Jamie Campell Bower was not exactly how I thought of Jace, but we all have different images of him. I liked the "golden blond" hair and the overall physical stature, but the eyes set me off kilter. His eyes were more brownish, and didn't have that goldish shine in the light, like they were supposed to have. I guess that would be a hard aspect to match, but it did annoy me slightly. His hair also tended to get in his face, A LOT. or his hair was just all over the place; not how I imagined the fine hair. This also might have just been a hard aspect to match, but it made serious monster fighting scenes seem hilarious. 

Robert Sheehan is Raziel's gift to fangirls everywhere. If you haven't seen a video of one of his many interviews, then I suggest you stop reading and go. Now! Robert plays Simon Lewis in the movie, who already had the hearts of fangirls, with his nerdy gamer personality, and sweet innocence. I think this was also a spot on casting job. Robert had Simon's curly brunette hair, round dark eyes, and tall lankiness. He also got the "panicking because DEMONS and that guy is in love with my girl" acting down. No cons here. 



Other Characters:

Magnus Bane as Godfrey Gao was spectacular. His voice was a little lower than what I had imagined Magnus's, but that is just one of my many opinions. We didn't get too much Magnus in this movie, but we also don't get to much in the book, so there is not much I can go off of, but from what I saw, I approve.

Kevin Zegers as Alec Lightwood was ify. It was ify for me in the beginning too, when I first saw the trailer, but I feel a tad bit more confident with the character portrayal. I definitely liked the attitude towards Clary, and surprise towards Magnus and heartbreak from Jace. So it's a conflicted battle that I will probably not make mind up about until City of Glass (because we all know how that turns out)! 

Johnathan Meyers for Valentine was kind of creepy. I first of all found out that he was Henry the Eighth in another thingy, and that just blew my pants off. The visage and physical portayal was good, but he kind of got too touchy-touchy with Clary for my taste. He was petting her and like "You shall love me". I see where Sebbie get's it for anyone who's read City of Lost Souls. It was pretty decent. Just decent.

Raphael Santiago WAS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND LIKE WHAT IN HADES HE'S LIKE ONE OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS. At least the Seelie Queen is cast for the next movie. 

Plot:

Ugh. This always where the movies go wrong. 

I don't even know where to start.

It got a lot more plot points correct than Sea of Monsters (which you can read about here).

OKAY. Clary and Jace had this weird thing going on in the beginning, like they would fall on each other and star at each other and it would be really awkward for the audience (and Simon). Also, the jokes (which are exactly scripted from the book *applause*) were so tense and not at all that funny. Like it was just wasn't happy enough. Funny enough. 

They also revealed *BIG SPOILER* that Jace and Clary weren't brother and sister before it was even revealed that they were (pfft). 

Also there many scenes that were reversed, that didn't have the right people, weren't in the right place and all that.

Another detail that really caught me though that Simon didn't get turned into a rat. I know, I know, it's a dumb thing to fret over, but he was bitten by vampire instead or biting a vampire. I liked it in the books, because it isn't the stereotypical way of becoming a vampire. 

That's it for my review, but since I'd prefer to end on a happy note...

MAGNUS DIDN'T HAVE PANTS ON AND HE CALLED ALEC CUTE. 

Okay *deep breath*
Farewell lovlys, see ya Thursday!


~Monty

No comments:

Post a Comment