Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sea of Monsters: A Movie Review *MAY BE SPOILERS*

Last night. At 10 pm. The famed series, and the sequel to the notorious first film. Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters everyone. And let me just say, I clap my hands toward the directors and producers.

Let's start with casting and character portrayal:

Logan Lerman played the series main character Percy Jackson. I definitely loved the blue eyes and the dark hair. He was even the right height! The sass levels were kind of low (Percy in the series tends to be quite sassy), but he still did a good job portraying the attitude. Also, in the book, Percy tends to ask for his father, or hopes to have help from his father. This shown very well in the film. But there were cons. In the movie they try to focus on how Percy is treated like a loser at camp. No one likes him. I think this is kind of off the scale. At camp, Percy is supposed to feel at home. He is supposed to be accepted not bullied. I didn't like this at all.

Moving on to Alexandra Daddario as Annabeth Chase. Annabeth, in the books, is quite the smart ass. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. She is a powerful heroine and a smart decision maker. In the movie, Annabeth is portrayed as kind of naive. And this bothered me. As we sink into the movie she becomes stronger as a character but still. Also, when they meet Luke on the Princess Andromeda, Annabeth is hurt that Luke betrays her and Thalia. In the movie this is shown truly as an underscore. There is a line where Annabeth tries to make Luke feel guilty, but it is a weak line. Otherwise, her visage was exceptional. Her eyes were the stormy gray that Percy always mentions. Her hair was blonde, but not the "princess curls" that Percy describes.

Clarisse's attitude was exceptional. The "this is my quest and I am going to please my father" attitude was spot on. But I pictured Clarisse more bulky. Just my opinion.

Plot:

Yeah... no. Not one bit. They really messed up in this category. They didn't have the right monsters or situations that really build the series. They didn't visit the right places. It was kind of annoying. Another point is that they mentioned to much of the main prophecy in this movie, which we don't learn to much about till Titan's Curse. Also, the age in the prophecy is TWENTY. WHAT IN HADES. IT SUPPOSED TO BE SIXTEEN NOT TWENTY.

That angered me. But there are a lot of plot holes, including Kronos and the prophecy.

Also, they weren't wearing the famed orange Camp Half-Blood shirts.

And then we learn that Chris Rodriguez,Silena Beauregrad, and Ethan Nakamura were traitors in this movie. That was NOT supposed to happen. Although Chris looked spot on character wise. I'll give them that.

But there were some things in the movie that really impressed me.

Jake Abel as Luke. Spot on.

The flashback seen in the beginning of the movie, although Thalia doesn't have her famed shield, Aegis.

The details in the graphics in the monsters, and Percy's sword.

And, of course, Thalia at the end of the movie. At that part I was in tears. The dialogue was spot on. I was absolutely in bliss.


Overall, it was an interesting movie. It was most definitely better than the first movie (which we do not speak of). The graphics and MOST of the characters were spot on. But there were some definite plot holes which made me sad. I don't know where they plan to go from here but it definitely left room for a sequel. Let's cross our fingers on a good Nico Di Angelo and Zoe Nightshade.

That's it for now but expect another post tonight!

~ Monty


No comments:

Post a Comment