Sunday, July 6, 2014

Dangerous Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Dangerous Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Action and Adventure
Goodreads Blurb: A new series returns to the world of Beautiful Creatures. Some loves are cursed...others are dangerous.

Ridley Duchannes will be the first to tell you that she's a bad girl. She's Dark. She's a Siren. You can never trust her, or even yourself when she's around. Lucky for her, Wesley "Link" Lincoln can never seem to remember that; quarter Incubus or not, his heart is Mortal when it comes to Ridley. When Link heads to New York City to start a music career, Ridley goes along for the ride-and she has her own reasons. As if leaving small-town Gatlin for the big city, trying to form a band, and surviving life with a partially reformed Siren isn't hard enough already, Link soon learns he has a price on his head that no Caster or Mortal can ever pay.

Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, the #1 New York Times bestselling coauthors of Beautiful Creatures, are back and casting another magical spell. Their signature mixture of mystery, suspense, and romance, along with a dash of fun and danger, will pull fans in and leave them begging for more.

Published/ing: May 20th, 2014 Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Rating: 4/5
Review:

My favorite part of this whole book was connecting with old characters. I adored the Beautiful Creatures series, and you definitely need to read those before you read this. Seeing my second favorite character, Ridley, come back in crimson lipstick and heels was thrilling. 


I believe one of the big points in this book was the development of Ridley's character. In the other series, we only graced the edge of Ridley's character, but in these books we see character development through emotional trials and life or death situations.

With Ridley's development, I would also really like to see Link develop more as well.

Another thing I really enjoyed, was right off the bat I recognized the writing. It was as if I recognized a voice of a long lost friend. It was so familiar and unique, the mythology and descriptions.

That was probably what really kept me going through this book.

Of course, as I got further into the book, this became less of a problem, but I did not like the overwhelming amount of characters that were thrown right at me. I got them mixed up and confused. Their personalities seemed a bit blurry and too similar.

There were also a lot of large plot points mixed together in the beginning, and that made it very chaotic to keep up with.

This is the first book and it is a whole new story, so I get the need to put all the new characters and conflicts out in the open, but I just thought it was a bit inefficient and busy. 

Future News:
The release date and name for the next book in this trilogy is yet to be released. 

My Author Event

So, a few weeks ago I was graced with the presence of Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl at my local library. 


Yes, that is Ridley Pearson, author of the beloved Kingdom Keepers series, wearing the pink hair strip like Ridley herself. 

And that is how my night started. I scored a seat in the front of the room next to a girl who was casually scrolling through tumblr and an empty seat. So, checking the time on my cellular device, I cracked open City of Heavenly Fire and went about reading. Around 7:45, an older looking man sits down in the seat beside me. He begins to ask me what I'm reading and how I like it and my interests. 

Now I recognized this mystery man. I couldn't but my finger on it until he cracked open Dangerous Creatures, pointed at Ridley's name, and said "I rather like that name."

After that I asked if he was Ridley Pearson, and he replied that he was. He went on telling me about writing skills and books. One of the really intriguing things he told me about writing, is have a beginning, middle, and end before you start.

He said once you had that, you knew the destiny of your characters, and that was very important when writing, especially in fantasy. 

Then the event started. 

Kami and Margaret were hilarious and not afraid to answer all questions. 

They talked about the movie, and how little authors get to participate in the making. They talked about their journeys writing separate books, and how they decided that the fans and characters were calling them back to where they originally started. 

Overall, it was an exciting night and I was glad to get a chance to meet them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment